Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I Ate A Sandwich!!!!!

I did it! I did it! I made a sandwich that actually tastes like a sandwich!!

I'm not talking about a sandwich made from those dry, cardboard flavored breads, either. I'm talking moist, springy bread with a thin, flaky crust type bread sandwich!

I made the bread and I tell you, peanut butter and apple jelly has never tasted so good. (Yes, this is my very own recipe.)

Only problem I had with the bread is that it is so moist and springy it is difficult to cut while the bread is still hot. So, make sure to allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.




Sorghum Flour Bread



Ingredients:

2 ¾ - cups Sorghum Flour Mix
1 - package Instant Fast Rising Yeast
2 ½ - tsp Xanthan Gum
1 - cup Milk
1 – tbsp Brown Sugar
¾ - tsp Salt
2 – tsp Butter
2 – Eggs
2 – Egg Whites
2 – tsp Butter, Melted


Procedure:

1. Grease and flour a 9x5 bread pan with shortening and white rice flour.

2. Whisk 1 ¼ cup Sorghum flour mix, yeast, and xanthan gum together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.

3. In medium saucepan, heat and stir milk, butter, brown sugar, and salt until just warm and butter is almost melted.

4. Add milk mixture, eggs, and egg whites to flour mix. Beat with electric mixer using dough hooks on high for 30 seconds, scraping sides of mixing bowl frequently.

5. Add remaining flour mix ¼ cup at a time, beating on high until well incorporated between each addition.

6. Beat for 4 – 5 minutes on high.

7. Pour bread dough into prepared bread pan and let rise until dough is about ½ inch above the top of the pan. (30 – 40 minutes if using fast rise yeast.)

8. Brush top of bread dough with melted butter.

9. Bake in 375ยบ F oven for 40 minutes.

10. Remove from pan, cool, and slice.






Sorghum Flour Mix

3 - cups Sorghum Flour
2 - cups Potato Starch
2.5 - cups Tapioca Flour







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorghum sounds like a monster.